Friday 9 September 2011

Remembering 9/11

September 11th is my birthday. Obviously it's always been a date I remember, little did I think it would become a date I would remember for a very different reason.
On my birthday ten years ago I attended hospital to be told there was nothing they could do for a post-operative problem. I was feeling less than happy but when I returned to the car, switched on the radio and discovered that the first plane had hit, all my problems were put into perspective.
That evil act changed our world and the effects are still being felt. The 2,977 innocent people who lost their lives in those vile attacks have been joined by hundreds of thousands of others across the world.
I hope that somewhere, somehow we can all find leaders of compassion and tolerance, no matter colour or creed. I wish that understanding and dialogue would replace the bomb and the gun but I won't be holding my breath. Those who preach hate based on their religion, no matter which creed they claim to represent, should maybe read their holy books more closely and find the true message that lies at the heart of every major religion, love.
My thoughts are with those who lost a loved one that day.

Peace be with us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment