Tuesday 28 February 2012

2012 new music - January/February

I must apologise for my lack of blogging over the past few weeks but the third book has taken up the majority of my time as I edge it towards publication.
I thought that today I will take you on a quick guide of new music that I have enjoyed in the first two months of the year.

First Aid Kit - The Lion's Roar
This is an unashamedly nostalgic album that could easily have been recorded in the seventies. The sound is at the country end of folk but it reminds me most of the music that came out of Laurel Canyon in California in the post-sixties haze. Carole King and Neil Young appear to be major influences on these Swedish sisters and their songs are filled with beautiful melodies and gorgeous close harmonies.


Gotye - Making Mirrors
Another album with an older feel but this moves forward a decade and borrows influences from XTC, Talk Talk and The Police to give it an eighties vibe. Those influences are particularly evident in the feature track 'Someone I Used To Know' and 'Save Me'.


Howler - America Give Up
Howler has a lot less polished sound but that does not detract from the energy and passion that shines through the debut album from this American four-piece. The band sound as if they enjoy what they do and their enthusiasm is infectious. The stand out track in an excellent album is 'Back To The Grave'. Check them out if you need reminding how much fun guitar bands can be.


Tribes - Baby
If Howler is the epitomé of American indie, Tribes represent a very British form of the art. Guitars are again to forefront in this collection of anthems that will have festival crowds singing along when summer comes. Among the best are 'Whenever'; 'Corner of an English Field' and 'When My Day Comes'.


Emeli Sandé - Our Version Of Events
This fusion of R&B rhythms, pop sensibility and a truly amazing voice could well be this year's big hit. Like Adele in 2011, Emeli is bound to attract a lot of attention from radio listeners while still pleasing the most demanding of critics. As she's a Scot's lass, I'm hoping that she gets the success her undoubted talent deserves.


Big Country - The Crossing (30th Anniversary Edition)
Although this isn't a new release, this terrific album deserves a new audience. Elsewhere on these pages I have written about how this album meant so much to me thirty years ago. It still means a lot to me and has become relevant once again as economic dogma devastates communities across the UK. If you've never heard it, have a listen to songs of passion, hope and empathy, remastered to perfection.


I'll search out some more new music to share with you in the near future. I hope you will find something to enjoy among these albums and that if you've discovered something wonderful you will let me know.

1 comment:

  1. As always, Sinclair, some interesting choices!
    Now, you've been selected as a Lucky Seven Memer - the rules are here:
    http://alongthewritelines.blogspot.com/2012/03/lucky-seven-meme-comes-to-call.html

    ReplyDelete