Thursday 11 August 2011

Why do I write?


Calum
It's a question I was asked a couple of times when I was out on my Glasgow library tour, why do you write? There is a simple answer, I have stories I want to tell that I hope people will enjoy but for me it goes beyond that. I write for my son or to be precise I write in memory of my son.
I had started around fifteen writing projects before 2007. Most of them stalled after a couple of chapters, my motivation dissipated as I discovered a new book to read or work was too busy or any other excuse that I could find. The stories were in me but there was nothing pushing me to finish them, no drive to complete what I could always return to at some point in the future.
In 2007, after 23 years, I left my job in the railway. The corporate grindstone had milled away everything but bitterness and resentment. I had to leave for the sake of my health and my family. Just two months after I had left, my new life was shattered beyond comprehension. My son Calum died from bacterial meningitis. At ten o’clock one Tuesday night he was a healthy, happy twelve year-old on the cusp of beginning his journey to become a man. By ten o’clock the following morning he was virtually gone, although it would be two days before his death was official.
Our family was ripped apart, my daughter robbed of her precious brother, my wife and I having to face the worst grief there is. For a year that grief engulfed us and life went on hold but no matter how difficult it was, we had to start living again. Not only for our own sake but in memory of a young lad who had lived life to the full. He crammed more into his twelve years and ten months than many people do in eighty years.
My wife poured her energy into helping others by setting up her own business to give people the tools to help contend with life's difficulties. Her positive nature has depths that amaze me every day and she is an inspiration to everyone who meets her.
Calum’s loss gave me a reason to complete those stories I had started. The realisation that life is far too short and precious to delay your dreams focused my attention and ensured that I had to complete at least one book in memory of Calum. I have gone beyond that and finished a second and I am now embarking on a third. Writing has helped me to deal with the toughest thing I will ever face, it has given me a reason to keep living, to keep Calum’s name alive by dedicating every word to him. He is my inspiration. My regret is that I left it until after he was gone before doing something that would have made him truly proud.
If you are asking yourself why you should write, I would say that don't wait until you it's too late and you have regrets, let people read the stories you have to tell. Life's too short to wait until tomorrow. 

To learn more about how my wife has focused her energy, you can visit her web site.

If you would like to know more about this devastating disease, the Meningitis Trust web site has loads of valuable information including how to recognise the symptoms. You can also make a donation to the trust in Calum's name.

9 comments:

  1. Sinclair, you're honour, loyalty, good heart and good humour always made Calum proud. It was those attributes of yours that played a part in shaping the exceptional person he was. I know his inspiration will drive you to keep on writing.
    love you all. Lorna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Inspiring Post. You and your family will be in my prayers tonite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your courage in sharing this is breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this inspirational story. I am sorry for your loss. I cannot even imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Sinclair. I lost my sister to bacterial meningitis quite a few years ago. She was only 11, happy & laughing one day, then gone within two. I was 17. My world was smashed to pieces. I still miss her today; the reservoir of grief that accompanies me, is, strange as it may sound, a source of comfort to me. I can't imagine what it must feel like to lose my own child, my heart goes out to you and your family. Liz x

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to hear about the loss of your son. My daughter was lucky enough to survive meningitis. The Meningitis Trust have also been a big support to us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Incredibly inspiring and heartbreaking. So sorry for your loss. I love that you and your wife turned something so devastating into something beautiful. I admire that courage.
    Catherine Denton

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a soul shattering experience, Sinclair. I've so enjoyed getting to know you on Twitter, and find your positivity and support such a joy. Many people simply quit living after the death of a child. Kudos to you and your family for your determination to celebrate Calum's life and share it with us!

    ReplyDelete