Friday 8 July 2011

"The Killing" travels well

I watched the first two episodes of the U.S. version of "The Killing" on Channel 4 last night.  The original Danish version was shown on BBC 4 earlier this year and I was a huge fan.
I tuned in last night wondering how this atmospheric show would translate across the Atlantic. I need not have worried. From the choice of the city, Seattle, to the casting of the actors, the American production team have stayed true to the atmosphere and philosophy behind the original series.
The lead actress, Mireille Enos (Sarah Linden) has captured the intensity that so defined the performance given by Sofia Gråbøl (Sarah Lund) in the original and it will be interesting to see if Enos can continue to portray her character's obsession with the same energy.
My main concern for the long-term success of the show will be how it handles the political subtleties that were so integral to the Danish version. Danish politics is a very different animal to the two party system in the U.S. and it may be that it will not travel as well but time will tell.
My only small criticism of last night's programme was that there was one scene that wasn't as captivating as in the Danish version. The scene where the parents of Rosie Larsen tell her brothers that she has died was good but didn't move me to the same degree as the original. From my own experience, I know how difficult that task is and it was the Danish actors who were better at conveying that particular agony.
That was a minor in quibble in an otherwise fantastic evening's viewing. Despite knowing who the murderer is, I will continue to watch this excellent crime programme. For those of you in the UK who missed it, you can catch it on 4od.

No comments:

Post a Comment