Tuesday 15 November 2011

Parliamo Glasgow

Before I began writing the first ‘Reluctant Detective’ book, I thought long and hard about how to portray the Glaswegian vernacular. In the end I decided to use it where appropriate and write the majority of the book in standard English.
What I did avoid however, was words that may be alien to the majority of my readers. Today I thought as a bit of fun I would show you the kind of words you may come across and think ‘what does that mean?’
Language in Glasgow has many roots including traditional Scots, Irish and Western Isles influences. Some of these are not unique to Glasgow but they are used here quite a bit.

Blether: It is both a verb and a noun. As a verb it means to talk. One friend may say to another, “We were blethering aboot the X-Factor?” As a noun it takes on a different connotation. It means someone who talks a lot. “See her, she’s a right blether.”

Scunner’t: If someone is scunner’t they are fed up or frustrated.

Drookit: A word we use a lot in Glasgow because it means soaked to the skin.

Wean: The derivative is from ‘wee yin’ and it means a child. A famous line in Rab C. Nesbitt that probably left many people from outside the city perplexed was “Ma wean’s done a bunk and ah’m up tae high dough”. The translation in English is “My child has run away and I am very worried.”

Steamin’: A person who has consumed a little too much alcohol. “On Friday ah wis absolutely steamin’, so ah wis.” See also “blootered; hammered; bevvied; blazin’; fleein’. We seem to have a lot of words to convey this particular state. I'm not sure why!

Stoater: Someone who looks attractive. “See her, she’s a pure stoater.”

Swedger: A sweet. “Gonna gie’s wan o’ yir swedgers.”

Glaikit: Someone who lacks intelligence or looks as if they do. “See that George Osborne, he’s pure glaikit.”

Jeely piece: A jam sandwich.

Crabbit: Someone who is in a foul mood. “She’s a crabbit besom first thing in the moarnin’.”

Fankle: A mess. “Ah goat in such a fankle tryin’ tae build that sideboard.”

Wabbit: Tired or exhausted. “Efter writin’ aw these words, ah’m fair wabbit.”

That brings to an end your introduction to wonderful world of Glaswegian slang. If you would like to learn more, why not consult the Scottish comic genius Stanley Baxter for more advanced lessons.

http://bit.ly/tWC1vz

2 comments:

  1. I still use my Glaikitmug with pride (kinda!), having received it from my former colleagues in York Street. Here's to the Weegies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a homesick Glaswegian, living in Sussex and this brought a big smile to my face! I miss the accent and all these great words. It's been a dreich day here today, so I felt a bit more at home.

    ReplyDelete